Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Dentist Gets Better

Happily, the dentist did get better, much better. Opening the scarey door to the office we were greeted with new lighting, bright colors and clean, fancy little do-dads all around. I laughed out loud.

Then we meet Elizabeth. She's our dental hygienist. She was lovely. Each hygienist does their own appointments here and has their own space in which to work. Elizabeth's chair room was enormous and very high tech, with a person-sized tooth brush and tooth stools on which to sit. It also featured her tooth brush collection, which was hilarious. I an out of batteries, so I couldn't get any pictures, but I'll be back later.

So, Peter hops into the chair, Elizabeth spends about 2 minutes poking, he gets a squirt of fluoride and he's done. No cleaning, scraping, flossing, or polishing. I asked why not and she said that in Norway they do very little work on milk teeth. THEN, Anna and Peter both got a prize. Pretty easy.

Peter does have to go back to see the dentist in December.

The funniest part, though, was leaving. I started to explain to her about the receipt I would need for our insurance at home. She listened politely, bright smile on her face, and then explain that my request would not be possible.

Why? Because dental care for children is free. The kids are not even "legally" on our work permits yet. But, we have an address and that's all they need. Everyone has appointments in December. I know that dental care will be substandard, or at least minimal compared to what we are used to in the US, but I want to get the kids started now. Orthodontia is heavily subsidised too. Can you believe that?

No comments: